Thursday, December 21, 2006

#46: I Passed The Past In A Race One Day (Endorphins)

(Prefessential Interjection)

Okay, So Say We Can Preface It,
That We All Got Our Own Deficit.
And Even If We're Addressin' It,
Though Usually Under Cover . . .
We Do Our Best At Guessin' It,
Knowing Our Future's Expressin' It . . .
And We're Just Pawns In His Chessin' Set,
Our Moves, We've Yet To Discover!

It was a miserable day in early July
when I decided it was time that I
do something to keep my body spry,
and then commenced to joggin'.

I started slow, a mile or two,
but everyday the distance grew,
and before too long, I fairly flew
through miles of hounds a-doggin'.

And I approached that marathon pace,
And there began to recog-nace
that this is much more than a race . . .
a place to note the noggin'.

And that's the way it all began,
the recollections, while I ran,
of fleeting years and fleeing men,
hopped-up and wholely-hoggin'.

Step after step, I pursued the chase,
through past of wholly witless waste,
with just a tincture of good taste,
lost 'mid leaps-and-froggin'.

Five years . . . and maybe more
had broken o'er somatic shore.
My aching lungs and limbs implore . . .
it's only demagoggin'!?

Now I've paid the price with pain,
and you can save the muscle strain . . .
just peruse this epop-ain
and get hip to hog-heaven.

I gained the wisdom of my shoes,
and swear that I have paid my dues . . .
with metered gate and bated muse . . .
and a bit of epiloguin'!

It wasn't long beyond that day,
already rued in previous play,
when I uprooted and ran away,
tryin' to 'scape the fool's foray
that had my mind a-foggin'.

Some were quick to blame the wine,
and some said it was lesz-benign,
while others called me fescennine,
discounting my traveloggin'.

But it was more than girls and god
and fermented grapes of western sod
that boiled inside my foolish bod,
stewed the brew for groggin'.

I bitched and twitched, and purely itched,
but inertially, I was bewitched.
I could not get myself unhitched.
I would not fight, but could not switch.
Hadn't I found my own fair niche?
And begun to buy my own fair pitch . . .
that dug, for me, a dainty ditch . . .
and left me monologgin'?!

Still, it was, the last day came.
The players were done, and so was the game,
and I escaped with all my finest shame . . .
set to knot my noggin'.

So, I mustered up sincere "goodbye,"
and bid a-dues to western sky,
and sprouted wings, to eastward fly,
new-born and polliwoggin'.

And to this day, as I run the miles,
while I wile away my wiles
of fermented figments, rotted, reviled,
while pates be pettifoggin' . . .

I oft recall that breakaway,
when I finally got up the guts to say,
"Fuck this shit! Have a good day,"
to start my brain uncloggin'.

It's all new now, the time and place
and due, in part, to my foot-trace,
my brain has got some breathing space
for cerebral catalogin'.

One foot goes before the another,
to carry dreams we'd rather smother,
fathers' futures, and fates of brothers,
in dire need of floggin'.

Yet, further on now we will trod,
courtin' the devil, and countin' on god,
runnin' tough turf, while roughly shod,
lost in psychic proggin'.

And it took months, and maybe longer,
for me to make this dim ding donger . . .
cap-webs cleared from Captain Konger,
ready for demystagoggin'.

But the job is finally over and done,
and the final song can now be sung.
We've already seen some fun and pun,
and pain as perusal's paragon,
for hearty fights, hard-fought and won,
for hopeful visions, all homespun,
for death, defeat and the hailing dun,
for mistake, heartbreak and skeleton . . .
in closets for comparison.
They will all come back, barring none,
as sworn in this prolegomenon . . .
we must consider every one,
and only then we rest our buns
in the knowledge that the race is run,
that we've checked each phenomenon,
and shot holes with gray-matter guns,
through all our pre-concept-or-shun,
we rest assured the slide's begun . . .
so grab your new toboggan!

Epic-log to Preface:
I never knew that a run might bring me
to a state and mind, and even sting me,
but once I passed that ol' tenth mile,
I began to scream, and through a smile,
I told the sky to king me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home